Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Becoming a local

So it's been 2 weeks since I first set foot on New Zealand soil and I am only starting to get a sense of even just the small portion of Auckland I am currently living in, well that and where I'm working and some of the space in between. After my long weekend getaway I focused in on getting myself settled into Auckland before planning any more out trips, (pouty face here) but once I'm settled than I can more easily focus on planning my travels.


I have also managed to meet a few more people, I know, surprise surprise. Last week I met up with Martin and John, also known as Marty and Jono. (for those of you don't know Marty and Jono, they are a couple of Kiwis who spent a little time in BC and came out to the place a few times, great guys!) and was introduced to a few of their friends here at a BBQ, no shrimp where involved that's an Aussie thing. For the record don't call a Kiwi an Aussie, it's kinda like calling a Canadian an American. Later that week Marty also invited me to a friendly poker game with some more of his friends but I don't know if I made any friends after the night was over and I was 50 bucks richer. . . I have also been making a few friends at work, Brent the fella who works beside me invited me out to his place for dinner with his Italian fiancée Alessandria. That was more wonderful for me than they probably know, because it was the first and only home cooked meal I have had in the time that I have been here. Brent also let me sample some of his home made ginger beer which I'm taking quite a liking to. (No it's not alcoholic!).


Blue!

They have some of the nicest public washrooms I have ever seen!
I didn't leave the city this weekend, I focused my efforts on trying to find a car to help me get around this very tough to navigate city and to aid me in my future travels. Lucky for me and anyone else looking for a cheap car NZ has had a major influx of inexpensive yet reasonably dependable cars from Japan and that has driven prices in the used car market way down. My search found me down town Auckland on Saturday, and I was soon distracted by the other sites and sounds of a city in the height of tourist season. While wondering along the waterfront my mom and little sister Crystal called me using Dads Skype account (4 cents a min!) while talking to them I found myself wondering into the Team New Zealand Americas Cup boat yard. I wasn't sure if I was even allowed there as there was no one else around but as the same time no one was asking me to leave so I took a few pictures and wondered out again. After that I headed to the more public waterfront and enjoyed a few buskers and sights before heading back home for a swim and some time on the beach.

This guy was funny!
Very Funny!

Just like Victoria in the summer!
Bus and Train Central Station

The final big news is that I finally do have my own set of wheels! After a bunch of shopping around I have picked up a 1994 Subaru legacy at the Sunday car fair for a mere 2300 bucks. Pretty good I thought especially since the guy selling it was originally asking 2900. It's one of those classic looks good from afar but is far from good, not to say it's a bad car, it just as a few nicks dings and scratches but is got brand new tires and it runs well and that's all I need. I don't have a name for it yet, but I feel like it should have one so if any of you have any Ideas, let me know.




The fuzzy dice were a big selling point!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Names for your car:

Chuk-Truck (nassichuk+truck)

CAeiouR (Pronouncing car with every vowel possible)

The Kiwi-Saki (My Fav)

Frank and Megan.. said...

Jay there is something wrong with that car, the steering wheel is on the wrong side lol..

So I would name it Eagle or Shark , but you must find and rent the New Zealand Movie Eagle Vs Shark to understand what I am talking about.

Cheers Frank

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason - I've been enjoying reading your posts!!! Looks like a wonderful adventure!

I like the suggestion for ChukTruck! :)

Take care - and keep posting...

Bev Knight

The Renegade Librarian said...

Word up, homie! I've definitely been enjoying reading about your adventures--keep up the blogging, yo! As for the car's name, I am better at naming guitars, but I think you should call it "The Green Marauder". Sounds like a comic book villain. Word.

Frank and Megan.. said...

Of all the truck/cars I have owned ( and its been a few ) I don't think i named a single one..

Frank

Anonymous said...

i've needed a jason hug the moment you left... but i know the one i get in six months will be worth the wait, i miss you! and ps. the car shall be named. CARnada. 'nough said
love you-crystal

michael said...

Forest.

It's green. You're in New Zealand - a land I associate with rain forest.

I'm also sure that your prayer for next few months will be

Run, Forest. Run.

Tangira said...

Hey Nazzy,

looks like you're settling in pretty well, I hope my homeland treats you well. I'll be checking your blog from time to time, so keep up the correspondence. I see in your previous post that you were on 'Tamaki' road in Auckland. That's my biological fathers surname. The Tamaki family has history in the Auckland area - I'll tell you about it some time.

As for naming your car... Lets see, we've got : NassiTRUK, Chuk truck, face it man, you are one Mothertrucker !... I'm sure you'll come up with something. Now go get yourself some ice cream...